Monday, January 9, 2012

Filler Menu Post

I was going to post about how awesome I am at potty training my kids, but Rory peed in his pants 3 times today after being accident free for almost a week.  Hopefully you'll be reading that post soon.

Instead, I'll give you my weekly menu from last week.
Sunday:  Beef Tips with Rice - I kind of made this up as I went along.  I coated about 2lbs of beef tips in flour, salt and pepper.  I cooked them until they were slightly less than medium in a pan in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Once I got it to that point, I added a can of beef stock and about a cup of red wine.  While that was cooking, I had the rice going on another burner.  I then sauteed some green peppers and mushrooms in another little pan.  When those were done, I threw it all together, then added a little milk and cornstarch mixture to thicken up the sauce.  It was pretty good - the kids liked it too.

Monday:  Fish with Quinoa, Spinach and Tomatoes - This is another one I kind of made up.  I make the quinoa with chicken stock.  While that is cooking, I prepare the fish.  I didn't feel like turning on the oven because it was hot so I just cooked the fish in a pan.  I used pollack, I think - it was really cheap.  I salt and peppered it and cooked it in a couple of tsps of olive oil.  In another pan, I cook a can of diced tomatoes and once they are bubbling, I add a bag of baby spinach.  Throw in some garlic, salt and pepper and cook until the spinach is all wilted.  I layer the quinoa, then the fish and top it with the spinach and tomatoes.  The kids are not big fans of this one, but I really like it and it's pretty healthy.  I also made some Caprise Salad.

Tuesday:  Turkey Burgers and fries - nothing fancy, just exactly what it sounds like.  The fries were frozen.  I just add random things to my turkey when I make burgers.  This time I threw in some poultry seasoning and it kind of made them taste like stuffing.  I liked it.

Wednesday:  Big Salad - Again, it's exactly what it sounds like.  It's a big ass salad.

Thursday:  Chicken Cordon Bleu - This is so easy and I think it's really good.  I don't think we will ever eat plain chicken breasts again.  At the very least I can throw a piece of cheese and a piece of ham in the middle.
This is my personal stock photo of my chicken cordon bleu.  I did finally get around to spending the $.99 for some toothpicks so I'm not using drink skewers.
Friday:  Tacos - I decided tacos are one of my favorite foods.  I like them from almost everywhere.  They can be authentic street tacos, homemade with the seasoning packet or from Taco Bell.  I have a special place in my heart for all of them.  These were the seasoning packet ones.

Saturday:  Sushi - I did not make this, but I wish I could.  Oh, I love sushi!

1 comment:

  1. My husband makes amazing tacos. He gets corn tortillas and fries them himself. It's awesome. Yum! You seem like a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants cook. I'm so the opposite- I need a recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete